Happy Father’s Day!
Need brunch inspiration? We gotchu.
Quite a few years ago, we had a Dad’s Day potluck. We filled a kiddie pool and set up a simple snack table for the littles, and guests contributed to an amazing Father’s Day spread, which was centered on the bloody Mary. The kids splashed in the sunshine, and the adults lingered over the garnish bar, building epic, sometimes outlandish, drink masterpieces.
These days, our bloody Mary is alcohol-free. A talented bartender turned us on to Smoky no56 as the base for an amazing AF bloody Mary. Mind blown. Here’s what one of our customers says about the FBFW Smoky Mary:
BEST BLOODY MARY EVER
I am a diehard Bloody Mary lover. A Smoky No56 Bloody Mary is amazing. Follow the recipe online, but add 2 oz. of spicy bloody mary mix. I made one for another bloody Mary enthusiast, not telling them it was non-alcoholic, and they loved it. Try it - so good. — Ellen
Tips for batched Smoky Marys:
- Premix a pitcher of Smoky Mary and chill it, but add ice to the glasses, not the pitcher.
- Taste and hack! Dilute to suit your palate.
- Rachel Ray suggests using frozen bloody Mary mix ice cubes, rather than ice.
- Make sure you have extra-long cocktail picks or bamboo skewers to stack all the garnish goodness.
- Do you have a competitive crew? Make it a GARNISH THROWDOWN and award silly prizes for garnish creativity.
Bloody Mary garnish bar
- Fresh dill
- Olives, pitted and/or stuffed
- Lemon wedges
- Cheese cubes
- Pickled veggies
- Deviled eggs
- Tajin for rimming glasses
- Salt/Old Bay spice blend for rimming glasses
- Smoked salts, from The Meadow
- Hot sauce/siracha
Whether you’re honoring one special Daddy, or hosting a group of families, here are some delish brunch pairings.
- Bacon-wrapped dates
- Bacon-wrapped shrimp
- Savory bagel board: bacon, capers, goat cheese, flavored cream cheeses, eggs
- Pulled pork huevos rancheros or chilaquiles using my favorite easy carnitas recipe
- Deviled eggs dusted with smoked paprika (you can use these at the garnish bar too!)
Cheers to a celebratory day!